In any social context, conflicts, as well as being inevitable, are also essential for grasping the potential of diversity and for growing as a person. Learning to deal with conflicts in a constructive way is essential. In reality, however, we give the word ‘conflict’ negative connotations and this is often what makes us react in a dysfunctional manner.
In private it is often easier to express dissent in a discussion or talk about our needs and hurt feelings.
But the more we feel more intimate with the other party (e.g... partner, family member or friend), the more we feel that he/she will be able to understand and forgive us for our emotional spills.
In the professional world, when we are in the midst of a conflict, we feel more restrained in expressing our needs or feelings openly, tending more to hide difficulties, until the conflict explodes in a completely unexpected way for the counter-party. Having complete emotional control is often seen as an ideal professional approach; 'emotional control', however, should not imply a denial of the emotional world.
Conflicts in the private and the professional worlds have the same general characteristics. What changes is our way of dealing with them, depending on the context, situations and interlocutors.
- The course is structured in 5 weeks, sub-divided into modules.
- The modules have different lessons within them, consisting of texts, videos, quizzes and individual self-reflection exercises.
- You can get involved by doing the Role Plays, which allow you to experiment with different reactions to some example conflict situations.
- We advise you to follow the pathway in a linear manner, but you can freely move between content, if it is more useful for your learning style.
- It is important that you respect your own pace: the length indications are a rough estimate, but your pace should guide you in the best way for the enjoyment and individual reflection on the topics covered in the proposed pathway.
- There are also some additional resources, collected in additional material, so you reach a level of detail greater in some topics of your interest and / or tackle some specific tests that can give you some further indication on your attitude.
Further editions of this course will be activated each academic year.
There are no prerequisites to take this course, but all of your personal experiences related to change management will be a useful starting point.
The course has several questions, some in the form of quizzes, others as proposals to stimulate your personal reflection. These questions will not be evaluated to complete the course. Instead, the quiz you will find at the end of each week will be evaluated. Scoring for the quiz equals 1 point per question. You can retry the quiz up to a maximum of 3 times. Remember, the system will record the result of your final attempt, not the best of your attempts. The course is considered properly completed if the participant responds correctly to 60 % of the questions in total. The course’s total score will be calculated by averaging the scores of the quizzes for each individual week. After completing the course, if you have surpassed the required score, you can download and print a certificate of participation.